A unique characteristic of APERC is its staff of visiting researchers, one from each economy in principle. APERC seeks to have researchers with knowledge of the energy situation in every APEC economy and, therefore, APERC recruits researchers from all 21 APEC economies. Researchers come to Tokyo to work for a minimum of one year but typically stay for several years, with the length of service mutually determined by the researcher and APERC.
APERC recruits its researchers both by seeking nominations from APEC member economy governments and directly receiving individual candidacies on its website. When a researcher position is vacant, and those candidacies are sought for it, the name of the vacant economy will be indicated below.
Qualifications for APERC researcher vary from position to position but typically include the following:
- knowledge of energy economics, ideally including energy demand and supply modelling;
- good computer skills, especially in working with software for energy modelling or data analysis;
- knowledge of the energy situation in their home economy and one or two other APEC economies;
- good English language skills, especially in writing, as all of APERC's reports are written in English;
- relevant specialized energy knowledge and experience, such as energy efficiency, low-carbon energy technology, smart grids, or fossil energy resource assessment; and
- obviously, professional-level knowledge of the language of their home economy; knowledge of additional APEC member economy languages is a plus.
APERC can offer the researcher:
- A competitive Japanese tax-paid salary;
- rent-paid furnished apartment in Tokyo;
- 20 days a year of paid time off + 2 weeks of office shutdown +Japanese public holidays;
- initial and final relocation costs to and from Tokyo;
- family allowance and an allowance for children's educational expenses in Tokyo; and
- Japanese public health insurance.
APERC is currently accepting applications for researchers from the APEC economies listed below. These economies are not represented on APERC's staff. If you are interested in applying for a position as an APERC researcher, please e-mail your complete CV to email@example.com. All CVs received will be acknowledged by e-mail and given appropriate consideration. Still, due to the volume of applications received, no further contact will be made unless the applicant is selected for additional screening.
APEC economies for which applications are currently being accepted:
- Hong Kong, China
- Papua New Guinea
- the Philippines